A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quinta-feira, novembro 22, 2001

I'll let everyone in on a little secret: I know who reads these web blogs and when.

Well, of course I have an idea who reads them: whoever sends comments back to me. But Yahoo! has a funky service that allows people to track how many people see their website, how often, and when. It's not as intrusive as it sounds, though. It just gives statistics. For example, most of the people that visit my main page do so between 9AM and 1PM. I don't know who they are, or from what country (as other, more demonic website services offer). Less people read my blog, but it also occurs during this hour. And one hardy soul reads my page at 3AM nearly every day. Have no clue who.

Here's the bizarre thing, though: to reach my blog, you have to go through the main page. But sometimes, people manage to bypass it. Either they read it so much that they go to the page directly by typing in the exact URL, or someone has posted a link directly to my blog without my knowledge or permission. It gets weirder. Sometimes, people read my blog but it does not register on the service. For example, I once wrote something and ! responsed to it. Thing is, the tracking service did not record anyone visiting my website or blogger page at all. This has happened more than once. Either Yahoo! blows or people are reading minds now.

Just came back from eating Chinese food with JM. Magificent man. Once an illegal, now a Republican geared towards libertarianism. Only in America.