A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sexta-feira, junho 07, 2002

And they keep coming in...

"Why Immigrants don't cheer for the U.S. soccer team" appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle on June 4th. Its thinly veiled anti-American sentiments irritated me. I say to you, and all the other cholos who dislike this country, "Go back to Mexico!"

My response...

I'll go back to Mexico as soon as you go back to your home country. You say, "My home country is America"? Guess what? Mine is too! Tell your cholo fantasies to someone who won't laugh in your face at its idiocy.
---
I've never heard of this theory; have you?

I read the article recently published with interest.

However, it has long been my understanding that what is called the
Mexican-American War was not a war between the United States and Mexico, but a war between the United States and France. France was the ruling power and in charge of the army,etc. Of course, we did not fight on European soil, but it was the government of France which fielded the losing army.

At best, it should have been French Mexico to match what people called British India. But it was not Mexico itself which lost the war. The nation we call Mexico did not exist then. Just as with independence from the British make that area simply India today, it would not be until
independence was achieved last century that Mexico should be called just that name.

I gather that many publicists, including you in the implications in your
article, do not take this view. What are the reasons?

My response...

Thank you for your response. To tell you the truth, I have never heard of such an explanation of the Mexican-American War in my years in academia. I know of the French occupation of Mexico between 1861-1865 which ended only because the American Civil War ended but I've never heard of such a French influence in Mexico beforehand. Can you direct me to some sources that state as such? I'm curious to see for myself what was the exact role of the French. I think my own ignorance to the matter answers your final question. Thank you once again and please send me some links or books that I should read.
---
Me, AAS, ER, and PSS had a discussion on the meaning of Latino with our Chapman professor PA. Brilliant man, one of the most brilliant I've ever met, probably because he's a firm believer in the Socratic method of making you answer your own questions. Afterwards, us OC Latino staff went to a Thai restaurant. I ordered a tom kah chicken soup, which was much too rich for my own tasting. I also ordered the green curry, which left me wired (I still am right now). Afterwards, we went to the Gypsy Den to hear an arrogant waiter refute our complaints that the Artists Village is bereft of Latinos. "80% of our clientele is Hispanic," the man said defensively. He's right if by saying "Hispanic", he meant "white" and by saying "80%", he meant "93%." Drank a cup of Merlot. Bottom line: I'm restless.