A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

domingo, junho 02, 2002

Another letter...

I read your article in my local paper and I have a very good suggestion for you...GET OVER IT. You may find this hard to believe but the USA rocks in terms you will probably never understand, if it didn't it wouldn't be bogged down with 1 million Mexicans right now. What is the diagnosis of "sociopolitical anxiety" anyways? I am a third generation Los Angelina, my white grandma was born here to immigrant parents. Her family worked form sunrise to sunset, built a fortune, and never once did I here about "sociopolitical anxiety". I guess the French just came over to this fine county and got the job done without a single glance backwards, not unlike the Irish, the Germans, the Italians, the Polish, etc.. If Mexico and the rest of Latin America was so fantastic they would not be losing half of their populations to the US. True Yankees know to respect the old country but dig in and celebrate with fervor the new country. Gutavo, please quit your belly-aching and thank God that you live in this county. Granted, it is not perfect, nothing is, but man is it ever hot! Now, take me out to the ballgame....

My response...

With all due respect, I never claimed that this country is a horrible place to live in. My article simply pointed out that immigrants (not the second or third generation) keep some sort of connection to their homeland and that soccer is an important way for some of them (and not just Latin Americans; how quickly you forget the details of my article!) to express reservations about this country. And you’re right about past immigrants getting the job done; immigrants of today will do the exact same thing. But I think it’s myopic of you to somehow assume that the immigrants of yesterday automatically were accepted into this country and became Americans. We can have an entire dialogue on “white” immigrants and how they suffered through the same things that the immigrants of today are experiencing. It’s a process in becoming American to be at the bottom and everyone eventually goes up. But in that rise, immigrants do express reservations about this country (did you know that most of the progressive movements later deemed “un-American” in this country were started by immigrants?).

And it’s not a million Mexicans; it’s about 8 million.