A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quinta-feira, junho 13, 2002

A long two days deserve a long blob, but I will try to be as succinct as possible since I'm tired and haven't slept for about 36 hours...

I went to the cousin M's house about 10PM yesterday with the intention of staying up all night and then watching the Italy-Mexico Cup game. JAM also joined me, D and PM in playing FIFA soccer. At first, I teamed up with PM but afterwards switched over to DM. Me and him were Mexico while JAM and PM were Chile. Mexico lost the best-of-three series 2 games to one because stupid DM did an auto-goal, making the final score of game 3 3-2. It was a great time, as we ragged on each other and Bill Walton.

At one point, we observed something so funny that I started crying. It was really sports nerd stuff so it doesn't warrant repetition (something doing with Paraguyan goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert). But I laughed so hard that tears stream. I couldn't even remember the last time I cried, much less cried because of joy. Earlier in the week, I had also laughed so hard I nearly choked. Things have been funny as of recent.

Mexico and Italy tied, 1-1, so afterwards I went home, read my papers, went to the Weekly, and came back. It's fun to write, but I'm really tired. So I'll leave you with some hate mail for me published in this week's issue of the Weekly...

Can’t the Weekly do a food review without historical revisionism? Gustavo Arellano ("Mmmmmm, Subjugation," June 7) states, "You have to hand it to the French. Unlike their genocidal English and rapist Spanish counterparts, the Frenchies’ most lasting contribution to their former colonies has been cuisine." While I will not dispute the gastronomic contribution of the French in their colonies, Arellano left out the convenient fact that the Aztecs, Mayans and Toltecs were quite effective and brutal at enslavement and "subjugation." Who do you think built all those pyramids and big stone heads, Mr. Arellano? Willing "indigenous" peoples? Shame on you.

Mike Smith
Berkeley

A Weekling pulled off toilet-scrubbing duty responds: Obviously, Arellano chose to contrast Spain and England’s brand of subjugation on its colonies with France’s because all share the same continent. While you could argue it would have been more comprehensive (and cumbersome) for Arellano to include subjugation inflicted by the Aztecs, Mayans, Toltecs and everyone else on the planet since the dawn of man, how is their omission "historical revisionism"?

So much fun, yet so bored.