A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

domingo, junho 02, 2002

Nothing like a bunch of Argentines to lift the spirit and an Argentine meal to weigh you down.

Went to a Argentine restaurant in the Westminster/Garden Grove border to cover the Cup for the Weekly. Will venture to said place for all matches. The owner is incredibly friendly, the food magnificent and the atmosphere can only be described as crazily ebullient. Argentina dominated Nigeria 1-0, making my fellow Latinos happy.

Was mistaken yet again for anything but Mexican. Was interviewing 27 year old Argentine woman who asked me what my nationality was. She guessed American, then French. When I told her I was Mexican, she didn't believe it. Why can't I be Mexican? Is it my strange Spanish? my not-that-indigenous phenotype? some aspect of my persona? what? what? what? Oh well. At least I wasn't called a Jap this time.