A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sexta-feira, julho 26, 2002

Here are some words of encouragement from one of my countless mentors, Sam Quinones...

i may not get a chance soon to read these pieces, however i want to say that i think you're doing just the right thing. ron jeremy, fritz lang, hip-hop. that's great. don't let them pigeon-hole you as the minority writer. the world's too big.

My response...

Thanks for the encouragement; it really means a lot for me. The world is indeed a big place, even if you live in Orange County. I’m discovering this every day I write something on a new subject.
---
LAST NIGHT...

I went to the Vinyl in Hollywood with the Fabulous G sisters to go see the Battle of the Bands concert held by the fine magazine La Banda Elastica. It was pretty cool because each band played only two songs. This limit also proved to be a gift from God because most bands were God-awful. But it was fun because we got to make fun about how bad some of them were.

TODAY...

I worked at the Weekly as always on a couple of stories. I'm working on one that I want to tell in one way but is turning into something much more complex that I gave it credit for. Good for me; shows that I'm learning and willing to change my perspective on things.

I have now become a snob and suscribed to the New Yorker. Since I'm a writer, I figured I should start reading other writers and the New Yorkers supposedly has some of the best articles in the country. We'll see about that.

TONIGHT...

I'll probably do absolutely nothing at all. JAM is in Mexico, as is VM. PM has his girlfriend to occupy his energies, as does AG with the boyfriend. That leaves me alone at home with absolutely nothing to do except sharpen my sword of knowledge. It's mighty sharp about now.