A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

segunda-feira, julho 29, 2002

Here's a letter posted in the Weekly about my Reventon Super Estrella article of last week...

Finally someone speaks against the crap that the supposedly "Super" Estrella (KSSE-FM 97.5) plays over the air waves (Gustavo Arellano’s "Five-Year Flop," July 19). Five years ago, I, too, believed there would finally be a station dedicated to the rock en español phenomenon. Wrong! Their "Reventón" is the Hispanic equivalent of Wango Tango. With so many great bands out there, why, oh, why does this station think Paulina Rubio is a singer? Why, oh, why do they play Mana songs from 10 years ago? Why, oh, why are they even still on the air? I’m really thirsty for some real music en mi idioma in the largest Hispanic market in the country.

Ivonne Camacho
via e-mail

My response in the paper...

Gustavo Arellano responds: Why, oh, why didn’t I get to see the concert? See next week’s Lowballasschatter.

Read all of my articles, damnit!

Met up with NGF for a while at Libreria Martinez in Santa Ana. He was waiting for a friend so called me at the Weekly. We shot the breeze, talked a bit about my usual insecurities. Remember, people, I'm a Mexican Woody Allen (at least the neurotic angle). All this talk of my overconfidence-ha! No me miran cuando estoy llorando en mi sueño.