A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

segunda-feira, julho 22, 2002

Some more comments for my Reventon article. The first is actually a reply from my cousin SD to my response to his comments...

Primo, your response to my critique told me that you have complete confidence in your writing.

Perhaps your plea to understand the rational for your bannishment was more retorical than anything else. Your writing style is straight forward honest. I like that. What I like most of all is that you stand behind your work. Your responses to my critique were well contructed and supported your rational. Many writers concerned with a "what will other people think" mentality would do well in trying not to offend anyone and not get themselved banned from anything. Bravo Gustavo, bravo!

I'll say again, I don't blame them for banning you. I don't agree with them, but none the less, for their self-interest their decision was a smart one. You see Gustavo, you are a threat. "The pen is mightier than the sword". In the overall scheme of things we must ask ourselved what is worth the risk and consequences and what is not. I seems to me that you have done precisely that. I'm proud of you.

Gracias, primo. The following is a response from JT, exiled in Missoura...

You asked what was so offensive.

I don't know, Gus. Maybe it was this line:

"It’s a miracle that the explicitly conformist station plays their stuff, though, considering that underneath Enanitos’ poppy sound is seething
working-class lyrical sentiment."

Or maybe this one:

"Too bad that their songs of protest will be lost on most of Reventón’s materialistic audience, who wouldn’t know a political subtext if it rifle-butted them across their dancing-fool kneecaps." (funny)

Or maybe this one:

"the boys’ party tunes can either evolve into Enanitos-status consciousness or stupid Super Estrella silliness."

Or maybe this one:

"I’ll give him credit for writing, playing and producing his material, an anomaly in Super Estrella’s roster."

Or maybe this one:

"The rest of the Reventón slate is more suited toward Super Estrella’s
no-brains-required format:"

Or maybe this one:

" Maybe Super Estrella will start playing better music. Or maybe I should
hope that there is a God so that He can smite this pestilence from musicdom forever." (Truth is not always what people like to hear.)

But it was a fun article. ("...showing your great ass does not a feminist
make"...ha!) Good stuff, man. Keep it up.

My response...

To paraphrase the great sage Bugs Bunny: Ain't I a stinker?
--
I have accidentally bruised myself in what is the most sensitive part of my body. Needless to say, I'll be walking funny until it heals.