A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

domingo, janeiro 12, 2003

This query was sent to our Letters section...

Subject: Can you give me Gustavo Arellano's email address?

Sheesh! He's harder to contact than Jonathon Gold! I have a few leads for him. And no, I'm not trying to get my brother's restaurant in the paper! I don't even have a brother. It's just that he's led me to some good eats and I'd like to return the favor. To compare notes, so to speak.

First off, to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Jonathon Gold is the highest compliment. For those of you not in the know, Gold is one of the country's greatest food critics. His Where to Eat Now is my bible. Then for the writer to say they've not only read my articles, not only tried my recommendations, but have liked them! is humbling. And then to offer some choices of their own is even more humbling. I wrote back to the person and they're sending me some restaurants. Good ones, too.

Have done no work today yet did. I should have done more. I will.