A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quarta-feira, fevereiro 26, 2003

School's almost over and I will be relieved. There's so much to write about in this world...and I seek to do such a thing.

Talked to SH, one of my Chapman chums, a couple of days ago. He's doing fine, just getting ready to apply to graduate schools. He's amazed at my intellectual whoredom. All I could do was dismiss it as it being me.

Why am I so self-deprecating? I'm not self-loathing by any means. I think I used to hate myself for a while in high school, but my main quibble with life is its unending trek and unsympathetic treatment of everyone. This is where my Catholicism comes in and says to turn to God; this is where my existentialism comes in and clamors to make the most out of each day. End result? As Grandpa Simpson responded when asked if his claim to be being the Lindbergh baby was a ruse to delay Grandma Simpson's arrest or signs of his senility, "A little bit from Column A and a little bit from Column B."

Isn't it grand that my biggest vice is a tendency to quoth the Simpsons too much?