A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quinta-feira, mar├žo 27, 2003

It's always interesting how when one lets down their guard, the attacks come mightily and ruthlessly. Is it any wonder why I wield my sword?

Perhaps I'm too paranoid--scratch, that, I am. But my character is based on experience, not neuroses. I'm not protective of myself just because I think people will take advantage of me, but because I know. It always happens, it always happens, it always happens.

And yet I persevere. One of my favorite quotes is from The Grapes of Wrath, in which Ma Joad declares how the poor always survive. I'm not poor by any means--I'm a spoiled suburbanite kid who's incredibly sheltered from any real problems. But I do survive. It's getting tiresome constantly surviving, though. I want to live.

The public persona of me shall always remain steely, tactiturn (sp?). The private cries.