A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

ter├ža-feira, junho 03, 2003

Had lunch today at a proto-Buca di Beppo with NGF today in Orange. Food was pretty good, although the pizza sauce wanted to emerge but just didn't have the energy to.

It's interesting how close I've gotten to NGF and the rest of the Chapman Chums. Granted, I was friends with them at Chapman but I didn't think they would be the ones I talked to on a weekly basis. In fact, they are going to turn out to be my only college friends ever. I made none at OCC (JAM doesn't count) or UCLA. But I made some great ones at Chapman. I feel blessed.

Afterwards went to talk to Rueben Martinez of Libreria Martinez. He's always so happy to see me for some reason--for honest reasons, though. He's one of the few mentors I have. Good man with plans to take his small store to bigger places--but always with a focus on OC.

He gave me the most curious compliment, saying that I'm way too smart for county readers. I didn't agree with him--honestly, I don't--but I didn't understand what he meant by that. And when I told him I still need a couple more years of experience, he gave me this disapproving look. I do need more experience and I shall get it soon. But first, let's graduate!