A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sexta-feira, junho 20, 2003

This has not been the most enjoyable of weeks. Disappointment abound, then coupled with some choice insults and even a threatened revocation. Isn't the post-graduate life grand?

The only good moment of yesterday/today so far was my dinner with AC and AG. They took me to El Curtido in Santa Ana in honor of my graduation--and also because they wouldn't be able to attend my shindig this Sunday. We hadn't talked in a while, but we picked up where we left off--arguing. I sure do argue a lot, but is it for the sake of arguing? I don't think so. I'm a very proud person and I don't like to give up my principles simply to please another person. I'll negotiate and compromise, but I'll never give up my beliefs.

Case in point: I talked to BQ yesterday about my ex, the infamous !. The first time me and BQ met was also the last night I ever talked to !. The very first conversation me and BQ had was an argument regarding the use of "illegal immigrant." He found that offensive, instead using "undocumented worker." We went at it in a civil matter. !, however, was livid. She had always been opposed to my use of illegal immigrant for vague lefty purposes. In retrospect, me and BQ decided last night, that conversation we had outside a donut shop near MacArthur Park was a trap set up by !. I knew she set it up also, but I wasn't going to give in.

Another case in point: My girlfriend during my Chapman years hated the fact that I buttoned up my jackets to the top button. She once told me to stop doing that; not buttoning it at all or only halfway would be acceptable for her. My response: I took off my jacket, this being in the rain, telling her in no uncertain terms that I would not do something so frivolous. Maybe that's why women keep dumping me...but I will not please people for petty reasons. I will be substantial.

In the meanwhile, I am seriously peeved. Appreciation is a desire not usually met in my life.