A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

domingo, julho 20, 2003

I Would Go Out Tonight, but I haven't Got a Thing to Wear...

My, what an interesting Saturday.

Began by taking the parents down to Tijuana. Made good traffic and came back around two in the afternoon. Ate at our traditional restaurant there, El Rincon del Oso, and bought a copy of the fine Tijuana rag Zeta (their fabulous motto: "As Free as the Wind"). Found out something interesting: my longtime doctor has treated some notorious narcos before. No wonder he seems so well-off.

During the wait in the line, encountered a man who has no arms. He lives by himself, has no job other than panhandling on the border. All I could give him was a quarter.

After typing up some notes, got ready to go to the Reventon Super Estrella with JC of--you know who. We spent the majority of the show roaming the Arrowhead Pond aisles and bemoaning the lack of beautiful women. Gee, I wish I had someone...

The experience was pleasant, ameliorated greatly by copious amounts of Cuba Libres and a woman who seemed fascinated with everything I said while at the same time insulting JC. It turned out she was from my home city of Jerez, Zacatecas. Even more small-world, a ad rep for Budweiser that I met at the show comes from my home ranch of El Cargadero. He grew up with my cousins and now lives in Lake Elsinore. Did I ever say there's more than 1,000 of us cargaderenses in Anaheim. Make it more like 1,500.

hen began my After Hours...or, alternately, Eyes Wide Shut...

That will come shortly...