A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

domingo, julho 13, 2003

Took my mother yesterday to see Juan Gabriel and his fabulously flamboyant stage show. The man is a consumate performer, at one point even samba-ing like a mulatta, much to the delight of the majority female audience. First time I saw him live, umpteenth time for my mother. Good time had by all.

Had dinner at the beautiful LBC home of NS and CF, two good friends of mine. They treated me to a fine vinegar-inflected salmon with peppery cornbread, good white rice and black beans, and pulpy orange juice. Served as a nice respite from the pain womanhood puts me through.

But now, funny stories!

One of my favorite news genres: the animal run amok. This one concerns a killer kangaroo.

Same genre...this one deals with a cat offed by the Russian mafia.

I've heard of auto-fellatio, but this is ridiculous.

Elephants banging while President Bush looks on. With picture! Insert your own joke.

Not sure if Stu Suttcliffe met death by a John Lennon kick to the noggin, but interesting theory.

I don't necessarily agree with Pete Singer's various ethics theories, but that he won an ethics award should not be surprising. Academics get a lot of goofy awards and grants, after all.

Attack of the flyborg.

Guess the stereotype that cops will do anything for donuts isn't true.

From Harry Truman's diaries: "Put an underdog on top and it makes no difference whether his name is Russian, Jewish, Negro, Management, Labor, Mormon, Baptist, he goes haywire."

You know what? I agree.