A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

segunda-feira, agosto 04, 2003

Woke up, Got Out of Bed, Ran a Comb Across my Hair...

Have I ever mentioned how much I love the Orbitz.com games? What they are are pop-up ads that allow you to play an electronic game--try to strike out a batter, spike a volleyball, a Frogger rip-off involving a bellboy and a damsel needing some luggage love, and many other entertaining diversions. Once you finish the game, you are then directed to the Orbitz website, where you find great deals on airline tickets--or so I hear. Once that page pops up, I close it and continue to play the game. Might as well play something--don't play any other games.

And now, my hectic week!

THURSDAY NIGHT/FRIDAY MORNING


Was all about El Gran Silencio. Invited NS and KC as my guests. El Gran Silencio took their bloody time to appear, though--they were still doing a sound check at 10:30PM. But when the show started, it started. I left around 2:30 in the morning and they were still playing, vowing to continue until six in the morning. I had to leave--I would have had only three hours of sleep (which I eventually fulfilled) and was wet with the sweat of other people after I danced my solitary cumbia in the pit.

Spent the rest of Friday trying to work on some stories, then travelled up to LA to visit the Tribe. WG is leaving us for Rice University, where she is planning to get her master's degree in architecture. Didn't know her long enough but I'm sure I'll hear her name again in the future.

Afterwards, went to CS's house, where they were having a welcome-back party for her brother S. Spent a year studying in UNAM, is just as great as the rest of the family. I drank tequila--rivers of it. I'm fine.

SATURDAY

Moped--bad. I realized I have too big of a heart after I gave a gift to WG as a going-away token. "Wow, you actually remembered," she told me after I handed to her the Banda El Recodo CD I promised her. "I would have forgotten."

The same situation happened at a later party for SD, who's leaving the Rag for a 1am-5am M-F slot at KJAZZ. I was the only person to have brought her a gift. Why? Am I really that giving and altruistic of a person? Of course not, but I have a hard time believing the opposite--that people nowadays are inconsiderate bastards. Then again, that's what I always say.

The party was at WS's house, and we had a satisfying time. I ate much of some spread that had asparagus but that I mistook for potatoes. Everyone laughed at me--as they usually do. According to WS, a beautiful clerk checked me out when we went to Ralph's. I had a hard time believing that. Maybe I shouldn't?

SUNDAY

Worked--and some carne asada.

Now...articles!So the Klu Klux Klan can't hold a party if their white robes depended on it.

Sometimes, I pity the Klan. I remember that my high school history textbook had a picture of the Klan marching down a city downtown during the 1920s. It wasn't until I was in college that I learned that the picture was taken in my hometown of Anaheim. And white supremacists still try to organize rallies or scenes, as the Nazi shows at the Shack show. But this country is slowly becoming a big mongrelized mess--and we will be the better for it. Purity is a sham, whether you claim Nordics, Aztecs, or God know what other loser culture as pristine and free of outside influences.

Liberia's fighters kill each other while wearing women's clothing.

This is an excellent article going into the rationale behind why so many Liberian fighters dress so outlandishly. As to counter our Westernized thought system, the writer offers the following thought...

Though the accoutrements and garb look bizarre to Western eyes, they are, in a sense, variations on the camouflage uniforms and face paint American soldiers use to bolster their sense of invisibility (and, therefore, immunity) during combat. Since flak jackets or infrared goggles aren’t available to the destitute Liberian fighters, they opt for evening gowns and frilly blouses.

So does that mean all Marines dress divine?

Larry Flynt, California' next governor?

If the man runs, I will help his campaign in any way possible. And I mean it. This will be the only campaign I will ever volunteer for. The man is a genius.

Boy feared killed by ecstasy appeared in anti-drugs film

The title says it all. Ah, the irony. Think of the irony! Excuse my Simpsons relapse.

Vietnamese guy gets electrocuted while performing karaoke at home.

Still not certain why karaoke is so popular amongst Asians, especially Vietnamese. One Vietnamese lady (which shall remain symbol-less) once told me the Vietnamese culture is severely repressed and couldn't publicly enjoy itself. I think she was speaking about herself more than her culture.

A car crash reveals a racist church in Louisiana.

Greatest revelation since the Whore of Babylon.

A quick aside...I just realized I would make my job easier by just directing Uds. every day to Daily Rotten. But then I wouldn't be able to insert my pithy remarks. Oh well. Back to the linking!

Cashiers made to wear diapers in Argentina to avoid having to take bathroom breaks.



Guess Argentina was flushed down the toilet--I can be more clever, but I'm not much of a scatalogical-humor guy. I'm not much of a humor guy, period.

The Swedes have a racist pastry.

It's name? Negro ball. Oy vey. This is the same culture that gave the English language the word "niggardly."

Christian nudists--the title says it all.

Joseph Stalin wanted John Wayne assasinated.

Shows how truly demented Stalin was. He should have gone after Mickey Rooney.

And that's all for tonight. I'm marginally better.