A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quarta-feira, setembro 17, 2003

Battle of the Newspaper Nitwits...

A couple of days ago, I posted a email sent to me by a daily newspaper reporter that half-mockingly congratulated me. Well, the person couldn't resist responding to my challenge. Following is an exchange that happened today. I'll allow the reporter to reveal themselves in all their Register--oops!--rancor. In fact, let's start from the top...

Gustavo, I read your stuff all the time. More often than not, it pisses me off. But I have to admit that I really liked this piece.

My inquisitive counterpoint...

Glad you liked my article, although your letter begs the question...what about my work pisses you off?

The reporter's rather-resentful response...

Hm. Where do I start?...As a reader, I find most of your work has a pretentious undertone to it. As a competitor, I resent your publication overall. As a Latina, I think you've become the Weekly's token Latino writer. But I guess somebody has to represent, right?

My smart-ass retort...

Really? You resent us? That's the most flattering statement I've heard in a while.

And you "think" I'm the token Latino...what would ever give you that idea?

Her humorless hissy fit...

What? No comment on the pretentious aspect? Does that mean you agree?

And my own comeback...

Sure! If someone thinks I'm pretentious, then that means my effort to write at something higher than a fifth-grade level is amusing at least one eager reader!

I'm sure more will come. Ain't I a stinker?

There's way too many articles to post from the New York Times, so I'll just advise Uds. to subscribe to the damn paper and read it until 1 in the morning like I usually do. Besides trading barbs with newspaper nitwits like myself, pounded out a couple of articles. And...um...that's life. Oh, I go out so that's fun. But I need to go out more...and work more. I need more, more, more!

Oh, one thing about me being the "token" at the Rag: I wish. Sure, I'm the only fookin' "minority" writing for the fish wrap. But if I truly was the token, the powers-that-be would've hired me full-time upon me coming to them rather than just about a month ago after a much-too-long trial period. Want tokenism? Check out the Register and Los Angeles Times, where they have reporters who were hired based on gender or last name only--what else explains why these reporters were hired? They're terrible. I may be the hack of hacks, yes, but at least I have an iota of ability. Most of these writers couldn't report a story if a press release was stapled to their arms.

Speaking of the Register, did you see their article today talking about Latinos in popular entertainment? Most hackneyed piece ever. At least give us Latinos who no one ever thinks of. Martin Sheen as Ramon Estevez? Please--I think Access Hollywood was on top of that years ago.

And for those of you who will accuse me of sour grapes--I don't even drink grape juice.

So let's end this rant with a day in Daily Rotten history...

Sep 17 1965

CBS television premieres Hogan's Heroes, the first and perhaps only sitcom based in a German prisoner-of-war camp. The show is proof once and for all that Nazis are hilarious.