A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sábado, setembro 27, 2003

Vamos, Vamos, Argentina...

Told Chastity of the LovelyMoFos crew she didn't qualify to be my muse because she didn't immediately provide me the answers to my question. So what did she do?

Fine. It's not like its hard to find information about the Flag.

Flag Description:
three horizontal bands of maroon (top), white (half-width), and maroon

Wanna know the stories of the origin of the Latvian flag?

It was first mentioned in a Latvian chronicle of a battle in 1280, where a battalion from Cesis, a northern region, bore a red flag with a white stripe which was also the banner of a castle there. Another legend refers to the leader of a Latvian tribe who was wounded in battle and wrapped in a white sheet. The part of the sheet on which he was lying remained white, but the two edges which were folded over him were stained by his blood.

And there's also:

A Latvian castle was surrounded by Estonian troops. The siege lasted several weeks and the starving residents considered surrender. The only alternative was to charge over the battlements to break the enemies lines. Knowing this, an old kokle (Latvian lute) player, suggested a short prayer and full scale attack. A ram was sacrificed and the old man took off his shirt and dipped it in the sacrificial rams blood. The shirt was completely soaked in blood except where it had been held. The old man attached this red-white-red coloured material to a shaft. Waving this as a standard the warriors attacked and drove their enemy away. Ever since then Latvian fighters have used this flag.


Bravo! But the position has officially been taken.

Read LovelyMoFos. Funny stuff, although they don't update enough.

So I wrote an article on Go Betty Go, the Glendale-based punk band that's been getting more buzz than a honeybee. My article argues that they're getting the buzz because they're girls. Sexist? You decide.

Of course, there has been reactions to it, and here they are courtesy of the anarchic postings of Foro Abierto...


GUSTAVO SOCKS GO BETTY GO,GO BETTY GO SHOWS ITS STARDOM

Not sure if it's supposed to read like a headline (I punch them and they show a certain diva attitude) or if they meant I'm a hack and that Go Betty Go is great. Whatever.

NOT TO LONG AGO HE WAS CALLING THEM THE SWEETHEARTS OF L.A., WHAT HAPPENED?...BUT HE DOES STATE THE TRUTH ABOUT THEM....

Bands and fans are funny. I've never really written too good about Go Betty Go, yet people always assume I loved the gals. They're OK musicians, but I've always felt...ah, read the article.

"Go Betty Go ultimately refused an interview request for this story, remarking that they’d rather speak to me "when we have a bigger concert to promote"—bigger than this Sunday’s show at DiPiazza’s"......What are they rock stars now?

I'll let the story passage speak for itself.

"If we can’t talk about gender, we can’t say much. Without that, Go Betty Go is as unremarkable as they come"......I AGREE!

Look above.

(most of Southern California’s rockeros are mop-topped impotents) HA!HA!HA!DANG! THIS FUCKER ISN`T AFRAID TO SPEAK HIS MIND

Thank you, pendejo.

"Go Betty Go is as unremarkable as they come." *** I MUST AGREE WITH THIS MOFO***

See above.

"It’s good stuff, really, but not enough to warrant all the attention. While pleasing to the ear, the group doesn’t differ much from a load of other local bands."**THATS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN STATING ALL ALONG, THIS IS A SHARP MOFO

But a retort now from someone else regarding the above comment!

NOT THAT SHARP HE JUST BROWN NOSES WHEN HE WANTS TO SO HE CAN GET WHAT HE WANTS,EXAMPLE RAVES ABOUT ENJAMBRE BECAUSE HE WANTS TO BE ABLE TO STILL HANG OUT AT J.C. FANDANGOS

Another misconception--that I'm 100% cool with the JC Fandango people and Enjambre. Little-known fact: Enjambre hated the articles I've written about them. And Mr. JC still isn't pleased that I refuse to write about his Victimas de Dr. Cerebro. So there.

Dam did he dog my girls or what, they need me to speak up for them not some sissy ass Publist,they need a undercover ghetto girl like me!!

Funny!

THE TRUTH HURTS! GBG ARE OVER HYPED!

See above.

ahh hahahahah sorry girlz but half of what the article states is true if you were guys ...you wouldn`t have this so-called hype.

Ditto.

"Go Betty Go ultimately refused an interview request for this story, remarking that they’d rather speak to me "when we have a bigger concert to promote"—bigger than this Sunday’s show at DiPiazza’s"......What are they rock stars now? **** no they just no better than to talk to this piece of shit. I know we have a lot of bands here in la that arent great, the fucken enjambre aint the fucken beatles either. thats all he cares about, his oc and javiers cock (jc fandangos)

Doesn't resentment bring out the greatest quotes?

Arellano is just saying everything everyone has know for a long time, but he looks bad because it sounds like he`s just being spiteful that they wouldn`t let him interview them.

I don't think the article comes off that way--but I'll leave it at that. Maybe it's just not myopia that's blinding me.

no no, i agree, ive been saying that about them too. ive always said their cool but not as good as the hype around them. thats true... but after he bashes them he wants to interview them? fuck him. he reviewed a show that GBG, VIVA, ? and enjambre played. he bashed everyone to a point that it was just to obvious, because of how he glorified enjambre.

What's wrong with bashing people then wanting to interview them? Play the game, people. You do good, you do bad, the good journalist reacts accordingly. Of course, this statement begs the question: do I even qualify as a journalist?

Enough. Here's the final word from Hopelessly Sweet regarding my critics...


I think people need to read both your blog and your articles. I think that was the heart of the problem with you and those punkera girls. Their manager couldn't "read" exactly what you were
getting at. Pero, al mismo tiempo, no te bajas de tu caballito....HA!

My rather-rude response...

So I'm still on the high horse for you? Let's have an ontological discussion here--by virtue of the fact that I'm writing for a paper and people are reading it, I am assuming some sort of authority. People expect the writer to know what the 'ell they're talking about, so there will be a sense of superiority coming out of the writer's keyboard. If there isn't, then it's little more than scribbles and people aren't interested in that--people want someone who at least pretends to know the subject. My writing is like me--confident but not arrogant, with too many Simpsons references thrown in. Besides, you need to be on a horse to trample over the wicked :-)

My pockets DON'T hurt!