A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sábado, setembro 06, 2003

Wait 'Til I Come Back to Your Side...

Hasn't been any postings for the past two days not because nothing has happened in my life but because Blogger has been down. So let's try to piece things together of what has happened as of recent...

Some love...

From my friend (yes, you're still my friend) Petty Burger...

I am so deeply offended by this article, I am not even going to comment here. In fact, I'm taking a vacation. I'll resume blogging when I feel better about humankind.

What can I say. Petty (and others) love how I skewer Nativo Lopez, Amin David, seemingly anyone they despise. But when I dare take a contrarian stance, all of a sudden I'm persona non grata. Great example: during the Santa Ana Unified recall of Lopez, all the activists against Lopez loved me. But when I came out opposed to recalling Lopez, then wrote another article blasting everyone and everything involved with the recall, I was left with no supporters. One lady even went up to me and said "I liked you better when you were writing articles against Nativo." My response was something to the extent that she could take a flying leap off the Great Western Bank on 17th and Main.

The following couple are actually nice and deal with my little triumphs of the past summer...


I read your Summer of Content and I must say CONGRATULATIONS on both your Weekly job and graduating summa cum laude at UCLA. =D that is a great achievement and I should add that you've been one of my inspiration and reason that keeps my drive going in journalism.
--
The following is from LatinoLA.com...

Felicidades on both your graduation and your position at OC Weekly. You much deserve this success. You have been a good friend to LatinoLA and I have really enjoyed your contributions.

You're a gifted writer and I take pride in running your stories. The intent of LatinoLA was to bring attention to the talent in our community and you fulfill that completely.

Buena suerte and thanks for letting us reprint your work.

Some ambiguity...

There can be a delay for only so long before one or the other tires. And when one sacrifices greatly for the other who does not reciprocrate, what is one supposed to do except rage?

Some food...

Took out GG of the Fabulous G Sisters for dinner at Regina's Restaurant in honor of her birthday. For some reason, many of my friends have birthdays in the fall. The Raunchy Protestant celebrates in October, as does BQ, VT (you need a nickname, so gimme one!), and AC. GG loved Regina's, although the owner remarked that every time I visit, I'm always with a new girl. This one, I assured him, was merely platonic.

Some baseball...

Am taking out VT in honor of her birthday to the Angels game. Going to be a doubleheader--how many of those do you see today?

Some quick links...

Senate blocks implementation of FCC deregulation

This has been one of the most fascinating stories for me over the summer. The lefty press bemoaned that Michael Powell and his gang would allow for the continued consolidation of media and that no one could stop them. But to the surprise of many (including me), it was Republicans who broke from their lord's grip to vigorously oppose the FCC push. It should be interesting in the next couple of weeks to see whether Bush will veto the Senate's move (which he has already indicated he would) and whether the Senate then would override Bush's veto. Principled politics at its best.

Antonio Domingo Bussi waits to be tried for his role in the Dirty War.

The New York Times' coverage of Kirchner's continuing prosecution of those associated with the Dirty War has been impressive. One problem with this article, though--at least the web version: the print version has a picture of Bussi looking very much the ogre that he is. The web version, however, only published a younger, more imposing photo of Bussi.

More links to come and commentary. In the meanwhile, check out the Pinochet Apologist's genuinely hilarious rant against Britney Spears. I agree with everything you say, but you almost come off as the evangelical scum we both despise.

And now, This Day in Rotten History...

Sep 5 1989

During a televised speech from the Oval Office, President George HW Bush holds up a bag of crack cocaine purchased across the street at Lafayette Park. Three weeks later, a DEA official admits to The Washington Post that crack dealers don't actually hang out in Lafayette Park, so they purposely lured one to the spot. "We had to manipulate him to get him down there. It wasn't easy." Reportedly, the seller's first question was: "Where the fuck is the White House?"