A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quarta-feira, setembro 24, 2003

When I was a Robber in Amsterdam...

I've said this many times before but I'll say this again: sweets are my only vice.

A local pizzeria catered the Rag again today. 'Twas terrible--ingredients didn't have any sort of distinctive flavor, it was delivered lukewarm, the cheese wasn't even melted properly. But very good was an accompanying box of coconut cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Guess what? I had four of each--and I'm suffering the consequences right now. Man, am I stogy!

Here's an email from a seems-like-constant-reader...

Your piece on Bustamante was right on, but as always, my little Gus can't seem to get off his horse.<>

Your critics are so harsh and narrow minded. It's too bad for them, in 20 years all their grandchildren and great-grandchildren will all have some sort of mestizo blood flowing through their veins. As much as they hate, they can't deny Latino passion.

HA!

What is it about my writing that people find arrogant?! That I actually write like if I know what the hell I'm talking about? That I snipe at everything I don't like and praise effusively that which I love? Am I really so arrogant that I cannot see that I'm arrogant?

Here's an interesting fact about me: many of the people that now care for me freely admit that they didn't like me the first couple of times they met me. They said I was too haughty, spoke as if I knew everything, and was just a general smart-ass. While I won't deny the last part, I think they misinterpreted the first two characteristics. If I don't know someone, I won't talk to them out of shyness. If I'm with people I know, I'll be my usual loudmouth self. But once people get to know me, they like me for who I am--whatever the hell that means.

Here's another interesting fact about me--my rear right wheel doesn't have a hubcap!


Later on, the wire. Must go to Placentia and try to help a community stave off the evil of the world. No, I'm not their savior nor do I think my terrible writing can make much of a difference. But I can sure as hell try.