A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sábado, outubro 11, 2003

Strangers on my Flight...

The following email rants against my Pacific News Service article from last year arguing why so many immigrants cheer against the United States in soccer...

You are full of shit, Senyor. First off, it's ONLY Hispanick immigrants who boo USA teams. Secondly, "payback" is not the reason why you Hispanicks boo USA international sports teams. The real reason why you people boo USA teams is because you Hispanicks see the USA as the historic rivals and eternal enemies
of your beloved Spaniards. And because they whipped you people in every conceivable way, to the point where you people are desperate to sneak into their country, you feel humiliated and in turn hate. Other immigrants to the USA see us as the country that took them out of poverty and provided for them. And in turn they love the USA. But because Latin Americans of Spanish ancestry are descended from criminals, what you people see in the USA is instead a people and country that outdid you Hispanicks on the
world stage. And macho Hispanick pride will never allow their historic rivals to outdo them on the world stage, so you hate. Of course, Hispanicks will never admit that as the world will call them childish, so you Hispanicks make up bullshit like "interference" to justify your hatred of the USA/"Anglos". Let me tell you something, Senyor. The USA followed the Soviet Union into Latin America. If not for them, we never would have given you people the time of day. And because you people sneak in here claiming you "want to be free", maybe you should thank us and boo Russian international sports teams. yet i have never seen you people boo any Russian international sports teams. But I do see Latin Americans go out of their way to give their kids Russian names, I suspect as a way of patting them on the back for being the rival to the USA. You people have rendered unlivable every goddamned society you ever settled. It isn;t just the poverty you bring that makes Hispanick societies unlivable, it's the macho BS that makes Hispanick societies unlivable. Being challenged to a fight 24/7 for the slightest perceived insult, real or imagined. A consequence of you Hispanicks being descended from criminals. You people are nothing
but thieves. First stealing all the gold from native American societies and now smuggling tens of billions of dollars out of the USA every year.

Where to begin with this? So I'll reveal something rather bizarre--this is the third time this email has been sent to me. The first time was when the article was originally published during the World Cup and I summarily responded to it. But then the person who wrote the email sent it a year later--and again yesterday, not changing a single word either time!

The next letters address my article arguing why illegal immigrants should get drivers licenses...


I just read your story and it touched me. I'm illegal in this country. I have lived here for 11 years. I'm 16 years old now and I should be getting my license and I can't. I wish more people were like you and realized that this law is not fair. It hurts me so much because i have lived here most of my life and grew up with all of the americans, and most of them have no idea that i'm not an american citizen. It is really hard to see all my friends being able to drive and me be the only one that can't. I really hope this law changes soon or something happens that will allow me to become legal. That would be the best gift I can ever recieve. Well I just thought I should share this with you. Sorry for bothering.

My response...

Thank you for your kind words. No, you did not bother at all. Hopefully, Schwarzenegger will not repeal SB 60 and people like yourself will be able to attain a driver’s license.
--
Thank you for your article. I am so pleased with this new bill. Do you know how one goes about getting a license. A friend of mine had one. When he went to renew it they asked for an ss# and she didn't have one so they didn't issue. What can she do now? Thanks any info or leads are greatly appreciated.

My response...

I apologize for the tardiness in my response. I’m not sure as to the exact methods of applying for a license if one is illegal, although I would imagine you’d at least need a proof of residency. Hope this is of help.

Here's another email commending me for my Pastilla review...

I loved the review you did on Hey! I don't know why I kind of thought you would write something negative about it, it's just me and my crazy thoughts.

My response...

Now, whatever would give you the idea that I would bash on Pastilla? True, I'm not too much into emo-y type music, but I can judge music for how well it sounds--and Pastilla's latest was excellent.

Another couple on my Go Betty Go piece and CD review of Natalia Lafourcade...

Dug both your pieces this week and was glad to see somebody speak openly about Go Betty Go. I don't dislike them, but their hype factor is a bit unwarranted given that there are many better acts out there.....as for Lafourcade, I actually bought her album today and it's rapidly becoming a guilty pleasure. She may be manufactured, but at least it's a quality manufactured product.

My response...

Thanks as always for the commentary. Most people have expressed similar thoughts about Go Betty Go--OK band, but not so talented that they deserve all this press!

And yes--Natalia is absolutely wonderful. I hate "Busca un Problema" and the song that follows. But the rest of the tracks--with the exception of maybe one more--are great.