A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

quarta-feira, mar├žo 03, 2004

Wacked-Out Firecrackers...

Might as well write being that many of you still read this infernal blog, but what can I write about?

Rather, what can't I write about? (I'm remembering a quote that Lionel Hutz once said: "Not only is my client not guilty, he's also guilty of not being guilty." His malapropisms were the stuff of legend)

I'll say this much--most of my free time is now spent with a wonderful woman. Unlike relationships past, though, I shan't reveal a word. If you REALLY want to know, say hi to us at a concert or something. So there.

Work is fine, as always. For Lent, instead of giving up something, I'm forcing myself to run three miles every day. I asked my personal theologian whether such a self-serving act could possibly qualify as penance, and he affirmed my sacrifice, saying sometimes the biggest sacrifices are not those you give up, but those you assume. Much like the cross.

I've yet to see The Passion--sorry, but the strength in my Jesus wasn't in how much whipping he could bear but rather His message of reforming the world via humility. And with that, I now go to sleep--but first, some Rotten.com history!
**
Mar 3 1863
The National Conscription Act is signed, forcing all men between 20 and 45 years of age into the draft lotteries. Except for rich bastards, who could buy their way out for $300, or hire another man to serve in his place. The inevitable result is the weeklong New York Draft Riots.

Mar 3 1931

An English beer drinking song becomes the National Anthem of the United States.

Mar 3 1967

The Berkeley Barb reports that banana peels can make you high. Apparently lots of people can be fooled into thinking that the resulting "bananadine" extract is a hallucinogenic Mellow Yellow.

Mar 2 1968

Syd Barrett leaves Pink Floyd, after melting his mind with various extremely dangerous drugs. He spends the following years mumbling about pork chops and refrigerators.

Mar 1 1815
Jesse Sharpless is convicted in Pennsylvania of exhibiting a "certain lewd, wicked, scandalous, infamous and obscene painting, representing a man in an obscene, impudent and indecent posture with a woman" in his own house. It is the first obscenity trial in the United States.

Mar 1 1978

The body of Charlie Chaplin is stolen for ransom by Galtcho Ganav (Bulgaria) and Romnan Wardas (Poland) from a cemetery in Corsier, Switzerland. The actor's corpse is recovered two months later.