A Week in the Life of Gustavo

"Seems to think that if he fails to write, la migra will find him."--OC Weekly More merriment available at ronmaydon@yahoo.com

sexta-feira, abril 22, 2005

KAMA, KAMA, KAMA KAMA SUTRA

Yesterday's appearance on AirTalk with Larry Mantle went well, if a bit bizarre at the end. That would've been when, after offering witty remarks about the inevitability of development in Orange County's wild lands, I promptly zoned out. Chris Reed, the op/ed columns editor for the Orange County Register, promptly offered a spirited defense of the virtues of development, which really didn't differ from his print edition. When Larry offered me a retort, I was left speechless--I hadn't paid attention to a single thing Chris had said because a Weekling was distracting me. I think I covered myself well--y si no, pues nimodo. Listen to the segment and enjoy. And if you didn't listen, tune in to KPCC-FM 89.3 in two Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. to hear me, Chris, and Jean Pasco of the Los Angeles Times pontificate on Orange County issues. OK, only Chris and I pontificate--Jean is the sole rational voice of the bunch. And Larry, for that matter.

In the evening was the Weekly's fashion show/party at Sutra Lounge (which once scored a review in USA Today, I just found out--big bloody deal) in honor of our fantabulous fashion issue. Spent the evening arguing about the ephermeal nature of culture with a fellow Weekling while ladies of all bust and shoe size sauntered past us. We continued talking, lovable nerds that we are. I'd also like to say I think I was maybe one of two people in a party of hundreds that paid attention to the telly, where the Angels came back to beat those delightfully un-PC Cleveland Indians.

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT

"I always liked Chief Knockahoma better."


--Said while the broder who uttered it was knocking down some sort of beer.